So you’ve done it – your website is up and running.
Phew! You can check that off the list, right?
But, here’s the thing…do you know what your website is actually saying about your business? And I don’t mean the literal words on the screen.
I mean what does it feel like when you first land on the homepage…
- Does it represent your brand and connect with your ideal client?
- Is the content engaging, clear and informative? Or does it fall flat…
- Does the design pull you in or make you want to run away, screaming?
- Is it easy to navigate or does it make you wonder “what’s going on here…?”
If you asked yourself the questions from above but didn’t like the answers…you’re probably losing revenue.
So many small business owners get caught up in getting online fast that they don’t take the time to plan out their content in a meaningful way or look at the finished product from their client’s point of view. They “throw something together” because hey…it may not be perfect, but it’s done.
Now…I’ll grant you, taking action is better than waiting for perfection, but your website isn’t just a digital placeholder or some box you have to check. (I have a website…am I a real business now?) It’s a powerful marketing tool and when your website is purposefully planned, thoughtfully designed and regularly updated, the results are staggering.
Did you know that 97% of people check a company’s online presence before deciding to visit their business?
(Thanks for the fun fact WebFx.com!)
Your website is often your digital first impression. It’s the first chance you have to prove to a prospect that your business is worth buying from. That means your website should be treated like the powerhouse asset it is for your business.
When someone lands on your homepage…they are immediately forming opinions. From the words you use to the colors you choose to how fast the page loads…all of it gives a prospective client a gut feeling about your business and if you’re not immediately giving them good vibes…they’ll bounce.
Even worse? If your website leaves visitors lost, rage clicking all over the place (yea, this is a thing!), or unable to find the information they need…they’ll click that “back” button and go to one of your competitors, leaving you stressed and strapped for cash.
Luckily, there’s a few ways you can improve your website to increase visitor engagement and get them rushing to your door.
- Write content for humans! (Specifically the ones you can help the most.) Identifying your ideal client and getting into their head can drastically improve your website and easily turn “I’m not sure” into “I can’t live without this!”
- Be consistent, consistently. Pay close attention to all the little details like font size and color. Consistent design and page layouts makes you look more professional AND helps the user get the information they need to choose YOU.
- Make it make sense! Your homepage and navigation should MAKE SENSE to your USER. Organize your content in such a way that directs a user to important information, quickly. HINT Use visual cues to make an even bigger impact.
- Be Unique & Get Creative. Hook your viewer with interesting imagery and impactful design. Each element on your website should make your brand shine, represent your business and make the viewer want more!
If your website came together in a haphazard way without a well-thought-out content plan, you’re bound to run into challenges that just get worse over time. It’s time to invest some effort into improving your website and fine-tuning your online presence. The hard work will pay off and the results will be nothing short of rewarding.
If you’re not sure where to begin, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to assist you in developing a robust website strategy that will draw in more clients and strengthen your online presence!!